The Gospel of ArtStars*
March 7, 2011 § Leave a comment
Nadja Sayej of ArtStars* fame gave a talk last Friday about her experiences in Berlin, and how you too could stay in Berlin for a year.
1. Should probably learn at least some German before going. (alternate: acquire German lover while there.)
2. London is one of the top cities selling art, Berlin is one of the top cities producing art.
3. As an English speaker, it will probably be easier to get an unpaid internship in Berlin, than it will/would be to get a job in the arts.
3a. Artists are working as janitors, english teachers, etc. to pay for their supplies/materials/living expenses.
4. Berlin is a relatively cheap place to live, rest of Germany: not so much.
5. Berlin studios/apartments = large for what they cost.
6. You should really probably learn German before you go.
7. If you’re smart about it, you can get to Berlin for about $300 (ArtStars* got a cheap plane ticket to Munich, then took the train up to Berlin).
8. For the youth: many bars/clubs are open late (like many places in Europe, closing is around 5am).
9. It’s really easy to find other Canadians/English speakers, don’t fall into that trap, or you’ll never learn German!
10. If you decide to move to Berlin, there will be tough times, but there will also be wonderful moments. Be prepared to talk to those around you if you’re feeling you want to leave, don’t. It’s all about sticking it out, making the best of it, and having an amazing experience.
Sayej also spoke of the various artists/art folk/wonderful people she has met along the way, many of the those she mentioned can be found here on her facebook page, or here on her tumblr.
Lastly (and most importantly), if you are under the age of 35, you too can be like ArtStars* and go to Berlin.
Two ways to get there:
through the German Consulate
Other resources (while there):
exberliner magazine – information on what’s happening in Berlin
sugarhigh.de – a daily email of one event that’s happening in Berlin that day
Leave a Reply